Thursday, January 12, 2006

This Week's NATIONAL ETIQUETTE AWARD goes to....Turkey!

Turkey- Wikipedia Entry

Turkish Daily News Online

About Turkey

BBC News Country Profile: Turkey

As Turkey has been in the news a lot this week over the Bird Flu epidemic, I decided to grant the National Etiquitte Award to that country. As with most Muslim countries, removing shoes at the doors of homes is customary in Turkey.

Turkey is very keen to become a member of the European Union. I would like to see Britain leave the European Union, ideally, but I guess we that is not too likely. I have mixed feelings about Turkey joining. It would mean a potential huge influx of Islamic immigrants into Europe. That would be worrying. On the other hand, it would draw Turkey away from the possible influence of Islamic extremism. That is why the USA is in favour of Turkey joining. The desire to join the E.U. is putting greater pressure on Turkey to clean up her Human Rights record.

As with nearly all Muslim countries (albeit an officially secular state), some persecution of Christians takes palce in Turkey. For more information on the persecuted of Christians:

Barnabas Fund

Open Doors International

6 comments:

justsheena said...

I really like this blog! I like your other ones too but I can understand this one better,lol! I am a clean freak, and I always take my shoes off. Dorothy never does, lol!

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks for visiting, Sheena. I am glad you like it. Maybe I need to be less technical in my other blogs.

I am glad you take your shoes off. You say Dorothy does not? How dreadful! She told me she wore slippers in her own home. You should insist that she takes her shoes off when she visits you.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

justsheena said...

LOL, she never takes her shoes off unless she's staying all night. One day during winter she walked all through my house! I still love her though.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Sheena, do you take your shoes off when you visit her?

Tell Dorothy that I think she should take her shoes off when she visits you.

God Bless

Matthew

Dorothy said...

HEY, I do take my shoes off at your house and wear slippers. I messed up one time! I apoligized! Seriously though I'm not upset. Just messing around! I do tend to wear my shoes in my house more than i should but mostly i wear my slippers! I have special ones that support the bottoms of your feet. Sheena doesn't know she isnt there everyday. She is just to far away!

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Ladies, no fighting, please. lol