Saturday, April 29, 2006

Shoes still Need to Come Off in Summer

Today in Worcester was absolutely beautiful. It was bright, warm and sunny. The warm weather is clearly here and summer will be here very shortly.

Some people may be of the opinion that shoes-off in homes is a good idea in the damp of winter, but is quite unnecessary in summer, except when it rains (which it certainly does here in the UK).

However, on the contrary I maintain that shoes ought to be removed even in summer.

It is true that the weather is drier in summer,so there is less chance of bringing damp or mud into the house. However, in summer, shoes will still pick up small particles of grit. These particles gradually wear out carpets.

If you have laminate or wood floors, there is still the risk of making scratches (watch out with those high-heeled sandals, ladies) or leaving marks (why do you think you are expected to wear deck shoes or go barefoot on a yacht?).

Dust is still a problem in summer. Dust is not good for your health or your children's health and the less of it in your house, the better. There is likely to be even more dust in summer, as the ground dries up and cracks.

Dog dirt is still a problem in summer. In winter, many people will walk their dogs to the minimum that is necessary. In summer, people will be spending longer outisde with their dogs, increasing the risk of fouling up. Dog dirt is extremely unhealthy stuff. Not good for crawling babies. You may try to avoid stepping in it, but your shoes will still pick up small traces and then grind them into the carpet if you do not take them off.

There is also pollen, which is only a problem in summer. Your shoes will pick up lots of the stuff. If you suffer from Hayfever or you live with Hayfever sufferers, I recommend having a shoes-off policy in summer.

Of course, on a hot summers day, nobody ought to mind taking their shoes off!

19 comments:

The IBEX Scribe said...

I quite agree. Shoe removal is about more than just water and mud. "Dog dirt" (that euphemism cracks me up, by the way) isn't the only stuff out there - there is a huge spot of "bird dirt" on the sidewalk near where I park my car that I almost stepped in yesterday. Good point about hayfever, too.

It usually rains more during the summer here than it does in spring or fall. Being from hot, dry California I find the concept a little bit odd, but I am sure I will get used to it.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks.

'Dog dirt' is sometimes used over here or else 'dog mess' or 'dog poo'.

Do you get Hayfever? I started getting it a couple of years ago. I actually thought it was nowhere near as bad as people make out, to be honest. But keeping pollen in the house to a minimum is still good.

I have read testimonies in chatrooms of people in Claifornia who insist on shoes-off, but I understand it is not the norm there. It might be more common than in Britain.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

The IBEX Scribe said...

If I get hayfever it isn't bad. I tend to get what feels like a very minor cold in the fall and early winter, so it is possible that I have some minor seasonal allegy. My sister has terrible allergies, though (and yet owns two cats - go figure), so I know that keeping the air inside clean is important for people prone to such things.

The IBEX Scribe said...

Oh, and I meant to say that shoes off is not something I encountered often in California, but it is a big state and there may be areas where it is more common.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

People do tend to forget the importance of indoor air quality.

Dust outside is fine, dust inside you may end up breathing in.

Yes, California is a huge place.

I believe shoes-off is very common in the North-West region to the north of California.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Your new picture is nice.

The IBEX Scribe said...

Thanks. The other one is a year and a half old now, so I though I would put up a newer one. I took this one of myself this afternoon.

It makes sense that it would be more common in the Northwest because they get a LOT of rain up there.

The IBEX Scribe said...

I changed it again - which do you think is better?

Redeemed said...

Good argument, Matthew. The "dog dirt" (lol) is very convincing.

I agree with a shoes-off policy in summer also. Maybe it's cuz I grew up with it!

We had a beautiful day also and tomorrow is going to be even warmer. It is good since our men are going to the streets tomorrow! They cancelled last Sunday as it was very rainy.

The IBEX Scribe said...

"They cancelled last Sunday as it was very rainy." They cancelled an entire day because of rain? Wow! ;) Sorry, Sarah, it just sounds funny.

Redeemed said...

LOL

No not at all, we don't even cancel when there's 40 inches of snow!

They only cancelled the street preaching after the morning service. The men preach outside and when it's rainy and cold like that:

1. Not tha many people to preach to

2. Our Pastor does not want our men to get sick

In the winter, when it was freezing cold, we went street preaching and alllll the men lost their voice. And the ladies passing out tracts, well, we almost lost our fingers!

LOOLLLLLL, sorry about the confusion, Angie!

The IBEX Scribe said...

I knew what you meant, but it still sounded funny. ;)

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Angie, your latest picture is really lovely.

Sarah, I am glad you agree with shoes-off in summer. I gather some Canadians keep their shoes on in summer, but not winter.

I have preached beforen on many occasions in pouring rain, but I tend not to do so as much these days.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Redeemed said...

The street preaching was really excellent today! It was a beautiful sunny day.

There was a very nice spirit among the people that took to the streets. Sure some people murmured and did not like the preaching, but the Lord was great and we didn't run into any troublemakers or any trouble at all.

We distributed so many tracts that we ran out! That's always a good thing. I hope you had a nice Sunday too.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

That is great, Sarah. I did, thankyou.

God Bless

Matthew

The IBEX Scribe said...

Thanks, Matthew, and thank you both for voting on the pictures. One usually does not see pictures of themselves as others do, so it is nice to get outside opinions.

Carey said...

Personally, I vie for shoes off in every season, but then again, we only have two seasons over here -- summer and maybe a couple months of winter.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

You are great, Carey.

Fashion said...

shoes should matches for all seasons like Timberland shoes.....cute post,,,,