Monday, April 10, 2006

This Weel's NATIONAL ETIQUETTE AWARD goes to.... Nepal!

Nepal Page in Wikipedia

Nepal Tourism Board

World Factbook: Nepal

Nepal Home Page

I hereby grant the National Etiquette Award to the mountain kingdom of Nepal, as it is customary in that country to remove shoes when entering homes. I believe shoes are removed even in some Christian churches in Nepal.

There was dreadful violence in Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal this week. The police used brutal force to curb demonstrations by those involved in the general strike that is takign place there.

Nepal is in a mess. It is facing terrible insurgency from Maoist Communist rebels who want to overthrow the ruling monarchy. The king has responded to this dire situation by setting himself up as a dictator and suspeded democracy.

I do fear that this Himalayan country may yet fall into brutal Communist oppression.

My sister attended a school that sent pupils on a trip to Nepal every year. My sister did not go herself, but some of her friends did. Given the dreadful violence of the countries current problems, I would not be surprised if the school has stopped sending pupils on trips there.

Nepal is a Hindu country and the Maoist rebels are hostile to Christianity. For more information about the persecution of Christians worldwide. Please visit:

Barnabas Fund

Open Doors International

17 comments:

Redeemed said...

I used to have a classmate from Nepal in grade school. He had a long funny name. He was funny, actually.

He lived across the school, but always managed to come late to class.

I've read about all the violence that has been happening in that country this past week. Seems like most countries are in an uproar.

Our church supports many missionaries, but we do not have a missionary to Nepal. We support a missionary that has an orphanage in Honduras, and mom and I are dying to go there to help out. We also have a missionary to Cambodia that came to our church less than a year ago..you wouldn't believe the poverty, which leaves behind many young orphans. I'd love to witness to those young kids!

It's heart-breaking though.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks for your comments, Sarah.

Nepal is more open to the Gospel than some places, but it is hardly welcome there. Not an easy place to serve.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

Carey said...

Matthew, this has nothing to do with the post, but I remembered this funny story that goes along with your post "Living With a Chinese Guy."

I have spoken Chinese in the middle of the night...

When I was on a mission trip in South Africa, I startled one of my roommates by speaking Chinese in my sleep. She thought there was someone else in the room until she realized it was me babbling in some foregin language that she thought sounded like Chinese. I thought it was immensely funny. Wonder what other languages I use in my sleep... haha.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

That is weird.

jel said...

just wanted to stop by, and say Hi!

glad you are back on line


take care

Kitty Cheng said...

Being a Chinese person, I am curious about what Carey was talking about in her dream ;)

Redeemed said...

Haha, Carey, that's funny. Oh the many hidden talents you have!

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks, Jel.

Thanks for visiting, Kitty.

Sarah, Carey is more than just a pretty face.

God Bless

Matthew

Redeemed said...

I second that, Matthew.

Paramendra Bhagat said...

Nepal: Malaria, Polio, Monarchy

Carey said...

Aaawwww... thanks Matthew and Sarah! Not sure if I'd use the term 'pretty' though... more like 'tolerable to look at.'

Kitty, I have no clue what I said. My roommate only knew that it was Chinese, but couldn't translate. Wonder what I did say... *chuckle* My Chinese is limited, so I couldn't have said much.

Carey said...

BTW, Sarah, will have pictures with car soon. I'll go ahead and put some pictures of my car on my blog, but I won't be in the picture. I would detract from its beauty... LOL

Redeemed said...

woohoo, can't wait to see the car!

BUT JUST FOR THE INFO, you are GORGEOUS, never wanna hear you say otherwise, or I may just have to come down to Texas, bring my moma, and we shall both blab you to death as to how much a beautiful darling you are.

Luv ya :)

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Yes, Carey is very pretty.

Carey said...

LOL, thanks you two. Sarah, if calling myself ugly gets you and your mama over here, I'll say it over and over again!

I'M UGLY! I'M UGLY! I'M UGLY!

*laughs*

Redeemed said...

I think I should bring some of that peper my mom put on my fingernails when I visit you in Texas, Carey...

Carey said...

Hehehe