Saturday, July 08, 2006

In the Gym

At the sixth form college (high school) I attended, you could not go in the gym without removing your outdoor shoes. However, this rule was always ignored at exam time, when the floors were loaded with tables and chairs.

I suppose it is understandable that students were not asked to remove their shoes before the exams; it might have made them feel uneasy. After all, they were used to attending classes with their shoes on (unless they opted to study dance or perfoming arts).

This would certainly not have been an issue in a Japanese school or college, where all the students change in to slippers on arrival. The wisdom of the East.

7 comments:

The IBEX Scribe said...

When I took major exams in high school (I had 5 Advanced Placement exams--for college credit--in 2 weeks my last year - each was over 3 hours long) I wore shoes that could easily be slipped off so that I could be more comfortable during the tests, and I think it helped me to NOT have shoes on.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I would have felt self-conscious about remvoing my shoes in an exam, unless that was what everybody else did.

The IBEX Scribe said...

I really didn't care what everyone else did. There were only 20-30 students taking each of the exams (with one exception), so it was a small group to begin with and others also wore shoes that could be removed easily or even slippers.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

It is good to be comfortable.

I find it difficult to wear slip-on shoes, as my feet are very narrow.

God Bless

Matt

Redeemed said...

I would always wear comfortable shoes and comfortable clothes during exams.

This reminds me, I used to love gym class. Since you don't like sports, I take it you didn't.

The IBEX Scribe said...

I disliked my gym (or Physical Education, P.E. for short, as we called it) classes all throughout school. I think running is cruel and unusual punishment and is therefore unconstitutional under the Bill of Rights. ;)

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Sarah, sports was optional at the age of 16.