Monday, October 09, 2006

Shoes Off Outside the Door: My Sister's Shoe Box

I visited my sister, Heather, in her beautiful apartment in Poole, near Bournemouth this weekend.

I was delighted to find that my dear sister had become something of an Offalist. Most of the people in her block of flats leave their shoes outside the doors of their apartments (like detainees at a police station leaving their shoes outside the cells!) to protect the fine carpets. My sister and her boyfriend adopted this practice when they moved in. However, a letter from the landlords had warned that shoes left in the corridor presented a fire hazard. Hence, my sister and her partner are now storing their shoes in a big box outside their apartment. Sadly, Heather did not see fit to enforce her shoes-off policy and she put her shoes on inside the apartment once or twice. However, it is vry encouraging that young people like Heather and her neighbours are more inclined to keep their homes shoe-free than the previous generation.

During the night, the people in an apartment below were playing loud dance music. I think they might have been having something of a party. While it was a little annoying, it was nice to think that it might at least have been a no-shoes party.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting posting. It is certainly encouraging that shoe removal seems to be a growing practice among younger people. I must say that I have never come across people leaving their shoes OUTSIDE their doors, most seem to do so either in the porch (if they have one) or on the mat straight after coming in. I actually put mine right under a small table which is just beside the front door.
However, you may recall how I said some time ago that I have a cleaning lady who took off her shoes almost immediately after she first came to visit my house. She now changes from her shoes to slippers when she does the cleaning and she usually leaves her shoes right outside my front door. Leaving shoes outside the door so that any passers by can see them certainly advertises to the outside world that you are an Offalist and may therefore help to promote this good custom.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Nice of you to drop in. Your comments are as reliable as Sarah's.

I have found it is quite common for people in middle class areas to leave their shoes outside their homes, especially if they are muddy, though it would be fascinating to know if they actually are Offalists. Childen's shoes are often more likely to be left outside homes than adults' shoes.

In warmer places like Indonesia and Hawaii, I believe it is more common for shoes to be left outside.

You would not want to do it on a council estate.

God Bless

Matthew

JB said...

My apartment complex doesn't allow people to leave their shoes in the hallway. They say it's a fire hazard. The property manager actually put a flyer on each tenant's door, telling people to stop the practice. My neighbor has defied that order and seems to be getting away with it. I'm not as inclined to stir up trouble, so I remove my shoes in the hallway and place them on a mat inside my door.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks for visiting. I dare say it might well be a fire hazard.

fashion said...

I too agree with your comments...I even follow this procedure in my house...It even applies to my favorite timberland shoes