Monday, October 30, 2006

Shoes-Off Signs

I was thinking about shoes-off signs yesterday.

I had thought that people who put them up are a bit lazy, as they did not want to ask people to take their shoes off. It occurred to me, however, that some people might consider a sign more polite than a spoken request for shoes-off.

Some people might feel embarassed and patronised by being asked to take their shoes off. Seeing a sign would save the need for such a request. They would know that shoes-off was required and could pretend that they knew they should take their shoes off without being told.

However, I am not convinced. I think most people, at least over here, would prefer a polite request to a written sign. Once people have got into a routine, they should not need to be told any more.

9 comments:

Redeemed said...

I think signs are great in public places, such as church nurseries, but not necessarily in homes. I would find it more polite if the host/hostess kindly asked me to remove my shoes.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I think I agree.

But I do not suppose you ever need to be told to remove your shoes in Canada.

God Bless

Matthew

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen any such signs for sale anywhere?

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Sadly, no.

But there seem to be huge numbers of websites selling them. If you have an internationally recognised credit card, you should have no problem obtaining one online.

If I might ask, are you considering putting one up?

Anonymous said...

If I might ask, are you considering putting one up?

I might do

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks.

So why do you think a sign might be necessary in addition to, or instead of, a verbal request?

Anonymous said...

Well seeing a sign might get people to comply without having to be asked. What I might do is put up a sign and then thank my visitors when I see them complying.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanking people is definitely a nice touch.

fashion said...

I agree with your comments...I too follow this in my house...It even applies to my favorite timberland shoes