Friday, December 08, 2006

Slippers that look like Shoes

re-post

I do not as a rule always remove my shoes when visiting other people's homes. In Britain, removing shoes is not the norm and might be considered odd or even rude. However, some people would like visitors to remove their shoes, but are afraid to make the request. I should very much like to encourage those people by my behaviour.

Hence, I only remove my shoes if the host is not wearing shoes and possibly not even then if I know they wear shoes at home sometimes.

However, some people wear slippers that look like shoes. This really can cause confusion, Men may wear leather slippers or moccasins that could pass as shoes. It was fashionable a couple of years ago to wear these slip-on sneakers. Some people started wearing them indoors as slippers. At the moment, it is very fashionable for girls to wear outdoor shoes that are identical to slippers. If somebody is wearing those indoors, how am I suppposed to know if they are slippers or not? In the summer, some people may use indoor-only flip flops as slippers.

So people, if you would like people to remove their shoes in your house, but are too polite to say, please wear slippers that look like slippers and leave lots of shoes by the door to make it obvious.

Or better still, just pluck up the courage to say "We remove our shoes in this house." You may be surpised how gracious people will be.

4 comments:

missmellifluous said...

It has become the fashion for women to wear their ugg boots outside the house too. A look which I think is completely skanky. We can blame Pamela Anderson for this.

Having said this, I do love uggies. They are divine, and I'm not just saying that because they are an Aussie invention. And I suppose I should confess, I have been tempted to wear my uggies outside - the thought of wearing them to uni on a chilly day was incredibly tempting although I did not follow through. I have worn my uggies to the shops for the emergency bread and milk run, but this then creates the problem of needing outdoor slippers and indoor ones...

For now, I just wear my slippers inside or on my verandah.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I think Ugg boots are just ugly. I am amazed when I see girls wearing them on sweltering hot summer days. Their feet must be so sweaty.

Do you not think they are a bit too warm and bulky to use as slippers?

You would never wear slippers on the verandah in Japan.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

missmellifluous said...

Do you not think they are a bit too warm and bulky to use as slippers?

No, they are not too warm or bulky. They are cosy and snuggly. I don't think they are ugly either - only when worn outside the house.

You would never wear slippers on the verandah in Japan.

Do you think verandahs are extensions of inside or are clearly an outside domain?

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

"No, they are not too warm or bulky. They are cosy and snuggly."

Are you sure you live in Australia and not Siberia?

I had only ever seen them worn outdoors. Before your comment, I thought they were outdoor shoes.

The verandah would definitely be considered 'outside' in Japan. You would be given special sandals or slippers to wear on it.

I would tend to think of it as outdoors.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew