Friday, March 23, 2007

Some really interesting discussion about Hygeine

Comment is free: Wash before you swim

The orginal post was a complaint about a swimming pool that required clients to shower before entering the pool. The discussion raised some really interesting thoughts on hygeine, especially the contrast between British attitudes to hygeine and that of other nationalities. I was pleased to find the issue of wearing shoes in homes was raised and a few British (I presume) comments were made in favour of shoes-off.

I think it is the case that we British tend not to be relaxed about hygeine (except with regards to hospital hygeine at the last election). And that includes me. I may be obsessive (?) about shoes-off in homes and my profile may say that I believe 'cleanliness is next to godliness', but if you lived with me you would find that hygeine is low on my priorities.

Somebody in the discussion thread mentioned the British and dishwashing. That made me smile. The Canadians I met in Japan were quite unhappy with my usual custom of washing dishes without rinsing off the detergent. Nobody ever taught me to rinse dishes after washing them. I only once saw it done in Britain when clearing up teacups after church.

6 comments:

The IBEX Scribe said...

Washing dishes without rinsing them? I tend to rinse before and after washing. Before to make washing easier and more effective and after to get rid of the detergent. I find that even after rinsing I can still taste detergent on dishes, so I cannot imagine how horrible I would find unrinsed dishes. Very interesting!

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Oh, I do rinse before washing if the dishes are dirty.

I have never tasted detergent on a plate despite never rinsing after washing.

Joy, a girl I was with in Japan suggested that the chemicals must be very unhealthy. I pointed out that I was not dead after following that custom for years.

We need another British opinion. What does Richyrich do?

richyrich said...

I usually rinse after washing them but that's really just because I don't like too much lather staying over them,they look cleaner afterwards if I rinse them afterwards.

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

Thanks.

Dawn said...

When doing the dishes, I rinse, I wash with soap, rinse and then put into the dishwasher for further sterilization.

Matthew, I do not feel like the dishes are free of the germs and bacteria if the soap is left on the dishes. Though, I do use anti-bacterial soap. Aren't your dishes sticky after they've dried with the soap? Or mabye there is even a visible soapy residue left on them?

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

We do have a dishwasher, where most of the dishes go.

They seem okay after they are dried to me.