Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Political Speculation

Despite being British, I am finding the American primary elections so exciting. Those of you who have recently visited my main blog, This is a Cult will know that my preferred candidate is the Republican, John McCain.

Leaving politics aside, I think the candidate most likely to favour shoes-off at the door is Barack Obama, seeing as he is from Hawaii.

While I don't like the idea of this chap becoming president of the United States, it would be nice if he applied this Hawaiian custom in the Whitehouse. I think most ordinary visitors to the place have to take their shoes off to go through security checks anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the enlightenment, I had no idea that part of Obama's childhood was spent in Hawaii.

I don't know about the political parties in the UK, but I am certainly disgusted with both major parties here. I have always considered myself fairly conservative, and the Republicans really don't seem to have the kind of economic conservatism they once had. I'm afraid whoever between Clinton and Obama gets the Democratic nomination, they will be our next president. It's third party all the way for me.

And whoever wins...I don't think they'll have a shoes-off policy:)! Oh well.

Paul

Dyspraxic Fundamentalist said...

I think if I was American I would be a liberal Republican. I would be inclined towards the Democrats on some social issues.

Interesting that both you and Shoeless Bob are conservative in politics.

I suspect that having a shoes-off policy is more common amongst those who are more liberal, but I have no opinion poll to back that up. I could be wrong.

It is the liberal Scandinavian countries that have embraced the custom in western Europe.

It does seem that most of the blogs that have posted in favour of the shoes-off rule advocate strong Environmentalist views.

God Bless

Matthew