Sunday, July 27, 2008

Human Behaviour

Ever notice how when people take their shoes off other people do the same?

At the cineam yesterday, the coupe sitting next to me took their shoes off while watching the film. I took off mine and I think later one of the friends I went with took off hers.

The next day at church I removed my flip flops and left them off during the service. The friend who sat down next to me also took off her sandals.

Us human beings do have a habit of copying each other.

I believe as more people adopt the practice of removing their shoes at the door and asking visitors to take their shoes off, more people will copy them. Quite a number of people in internet discussions have commented that after they adopted a shoes-off policy, their friends did the same.

6 comments:

jazzycat said...

Flip flops at church?

One problem you have with sock feet on hardwood floors is the tendency to trip is greater.

Did you see my post on Rom. 2:7?

Celestial Fundie said...

"Flip flops at church?"

Oh yes. Casual dress is the norm at my moderately Calvinistic church.

"One problem you have with sock feet on hardwood floors is the tendency to trip is greater."

Actually they have a carpet at the church.

It is true about the possibility of slipping on hardwood floors. I think that is why the trend to abandon carpets for wood floors is not necessarilly a good idea. Even if you don't have a shoes-off rule, you are bound to walk on a hardwood floor sometimes without shoes.

You can always wear slippers and suggest that guests bring some slippers with them.

"Did you see my post on Rom. 2:7?"

Yes. I am not sure what I think of that verse. I shall have to have a look at some commentaries.

Every Blessing in Christ

Matthew

jazzycat said...

Do they make a special slipper that is light and could even be folded and carried in a pocket?

Moderately Calvinistic? Is there a website for your church?

Celestial Fundie said...

I have never seen slippers that could fit into one's pocket, but I have seen some that could fit in a lady's handbag.

Sometimes, when I have visited other peoples' houses, I have carried slippers in a plastic shopping bag.

My church website:

Woodgreen Evangelical Church

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised to hear you wear flip flops and casual dress to church. I thought men wore a suit and women wore a hat as a mark of respect and put on their Sunday best. Sounds like England has changed a great deal from when my parents were there. Thanks for keeping me up to date! Katie

Celestial Fundie said...

Katie, there certainly are plenty of churches where people dress very smartly. But at my church, we are rather casual.

I do think women ought to wear a headcovering, though, as this is taught in 1 Corinthians 11. Sometimes people can be selective in which bits of the Bible they choose to follow.

God Bless

Matthew