Monday, July 14, 2008

Recipricocity

re-post

You may not have a baby at crawling age
But if you ask visitors to your home to remove their shoes, you send a message that it is acceptable to keep your home shoe-free. That makes life easier for those who do have crawling babies.

You may not have a new carpet
You may have an old carpet that needs replacing or a wooden
floor that is covered in scratch marks. But if you have a shoes-off policy, it will make it easier for those who do have a new carpet to do the same.

You may not live in an area where there is pesticide on the ground
But if you have a no-shoes rule in your house, it will make those who do need to require shoes-off feel more comfortable about it.

4 comments:

lorenzothellama said...

Here here. I try to do the same but getting other people to comply is tricky. My daughter-in-law is Japanese and I got the shoes-off habit from her. She finds it very offensive, as I do now.

You were lucky not to be deleted from Bluecollar for your comment on political correctness! My brother and I have been deleted time without number from their blog for much less than that! My brother has actually been banned!

Anyway, thanks for that comment, I really appreciated, but as an avid reader and suscriber to Private Eye, it's not just the right wing factions that report on the more exteme cases.

Love Lorenzo.

Celestial Fundie said...

Lorenzothellama, thanks for visiting.

I am glad you prefer shoes-off in your home. Don't be afraid to ask people nicely to take off those shoes!

jazzycat said...

Matthew,
It is certainly a good custom, but if I had the policy I might pull out my six shooter and make them dance if they didn't comply. We Bluecollar types get kinda mean sometimes. Maybe Loren could send her brother by your blog for a visit. I believe they are from the U.K.

Celestial Fundie said...

Mean? I am sure you are as meek as a kitten.