Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Athlete's Foot

re-post

An unpleasent fungal infection.

A lot of people mention Athlete's Foot as an argument against people having a shoes-off policy. However, this is a quite unnecessary concern.

Athlete's Foot is generally associated with swimming pools and changing rooms. It is possible to catch Athlete's Foot on one's barefeet at a swimming pool or in a locker room. However, recent research indicates that this is not so likely as was previously thought.

Most importantly, the reason people catch Athlete's Foot in those places is not because people there are barefoot, but because the fungus needs a warm and wet environment. People get exposed to the fungus in the damp conditions. If they fail to dry their feet, the fungus is very comfortable and even more so if the victim puts on sweaty socks.

The fungus will not survive long on the clean, dry floor or carpet of a person's home and so you are very unlikely to catch Athlete's Foot in somebody's house, even if the owner has the condition.

What is more, people who are not wearing socks are likely to put on sandals when they leave, as opposed to closed shoes. Thus, they will not create the right environment for the condition to thrive.

Of course, if you are worried about it, you can always bring some slippers or socks when you visit a shoes-off home.

People who have a shoes-off policy ought to let their visitors know in advance and be willing to lend a pair of clean socks, if not slippers.

6 comments:

richyrich said...

I know there isn't a topic on here right now that is directly relevant to this but I just thought I'd share with you that I received an Ikea catalogue throuhg my letterbox last night and ALL the people who were pictured in it, posing beside different products in home like settings had their shoes off. Ikea of course is a Swedish company and I believe that Sweden is a shoes off country (am I right?) Therefore it is probable that these pictures were taken in Ssweden and that the people who posed for them saw being shoeless in a domestic setting as being the most natural thing to be. Also amongst the products that were on sale under the "house entrence" section were shoe racks, sending out a clear messahe that shoes are to be left at the door when people enter their homes. It is good that a catalogue like this shows images of shoelessnes in homes, let's hope that some people get ideas from that!

Celestial Fundie said...

Yes, removing shoes is very much the norm in Sweden.

I don't think I have seen the most recent Ikew brochure, but in the one's I have seen before most people are in socks.

God Bless

Matthew

Rita Martinez said...

my dad had athletes foot for many years because he plays tennis... none of us have ever had athlete's foot and we're always barefoot around the house...

Celestial Fundie said...

Thanks for your testimony.

Anonymous said...

Placing barefeet into running shoes or any type of a sneaker can start a fungus outbreak. Once in college, training and helping out with the cross country running team, I developed my first case of athletes foot. Wearing sweaty shoes hours on end, plus not putting on socks, made the environment ripe for fungus to grow. The itching and burning around the toes eventually made it difficult to run. I walked to the college clinic to have it checked out. They proscribed cream and told me to wear sandals if I did need to wear shoes. Also,I got a lecture for not wearing socks. They made me wear a pair of medical style of sandal instead of the sneakers that I came in with.

Matthew Celestis said...

Thanks for dropping in.