Sunday, October 26, 2008

Standing on chairs

I go to an evening service at the local Brethren assembly.

This evening, a gentleman (about 60) was changing the time of the clock. He had stood to do this on a chair and had removed his shoes before doing. That was nice to see from somebody his age. Older people tend to be a bit less shoe-conscious in my opinion.

I do think it is a nice gesture when people remove their shoes before standing on a chair. Somebody is eventually going to sit where your feet have been.

In Japan, people will even remove their slippers before standing on a chair.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not just in Japan, in my parents house you weren't allowed to stand on chairs, on the sofa or on beds without taking your slippers off.
I suppose things like that stick with you because last week when some people in my office decided to put the Christmas decorations up one of my colleagues was standing on my desk with her outdoor shoes on attaching baubles to the walls.
When I protested she looked at me as if I were a madman, even though, as I told her, I sometimes put food, like fruit, on the same surface.
Only a few weeks ago I went to my local bank branch for an appointment. I was asked to take a seat in a waiting area with soft seats and three members of staff were putting up a large advert on a wall just behind the row of comfy chairs. Rather than get a step ladder to reach the highest part of the wall they simply used some of the unoccupied seats to stand on and not one of them removed their shoes, even though one woman with high heels was in danger of a) overblancing and b) puncturing the cloth cover of the seat with her heels.
And yet, every time I get on a train there are little notices not to rest our feet on the seat opposite unless we first take off our shoes.

Celestial Fundie said...

Thanks for sharing that.

Have you commented before? You are not the guy from Georgia?