Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Visiting different houses

I lead a Bible study at my parents' home fellowship group yesterday (they go to a different church to me).

The hosts were shoeless and there was a large shoe rack in the entrance.

Most of the people who attended the meeting removed their shoes.

Manners are changing. Years ago at such a meeting the hosts would have worn their shoes and the vistitors would have kept their shoes on.

The expectation is increasingly shifting in the direction of everybody being shoeless in a home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you think the reasons could be?

Celestial Fundie said...

Shoes bring in dirt. Shoes have no functional purpose indoors. It is more comfortable to be shoeless.

Anonymous said...

I would like to add to this perfect comment, the shoeless policy makes people provide for that their feet are clean and look more elegant.
Since my question was different: I meant what had pushed people to understand the reasons of shoes-off?

Celestial Fundie said...

I think the reasons for removing shoes are obvious to people.

What has traditionally kept people in their shoes is the more formal manners of the past.

With the move towards informality since the 1960s, their is no longer any reason for people to stay in their shoes in homes, unless they want to show off their party shoes.

God Bless

Matthew