Thursday, December 25, 2008

I finally got my own place!

Sorry not to have posted anything, but I am without the internet in my new apartment.

I moved into my apartment in Stevenage last Saturday. It is great.

I was given the keys by a property inspector. He spent some time impressing upon me the need to keep the apartment clean. He noticed that I had removed my shoes on entering. While he had kept his own shoes on, he told me that I ought to make this the 'order of the day.' I suspect with all the pressure from landlords and their agents (the old deposit) to look after rented property, a lot of tenants like myself probably feel the need to impose a no-shoes rule.


I had promised myself that when I got my own place, I would buy this door mat that says 'Please Take Off Your Shoes.' It was expensive, but I did. Mine is in brick red, with black letters. You can buy your own shoes-off doormat from Mats4u (UK)

I have not had any visitors yet, but I am sure I will in good time.

10 comments:

Rita Martinez said...

congrats on getting your own place! :D and Merry Christmas!
love the doormat..someday when I get my own place I will definitely get one of those!

Celestial Fundie said...

Thanks, Rita.

moonlight said...

Interesting blog! I'm from Malaysia, and we certainly have a no shoes in the house tradition throughout the country:)

Celestial Fundie said...

I am sure Malaysia is a great country.

Anonymous said...

So, after having spent the whole day looking for the perfect shoes to match my cocktail dress, you will ask me to take them off at the door? Maybe I'll just go to another party.

Celestial Fundie said...

Your choice.

But that is a little hypothetical.

Would you still react the same if I was a close friend of yours and you enjoyed attending my parties?

moderate mouse said...

I sympathize with anonymous's reservation on the idea of having to take shoes out of the equation when wearing a cocktail dress (or any kind of "formal" ensemble, cocktail, business or otherwise). However, I think I know a possible way around that problem. At different stores ranging from dollar stores to, say, JC Penny, I've seen slippers that resemble soft flats. They look like they could blend somewhat with the formality of the dress in question. I remember at Thanksgiving or Christmas my grandmother wore a pair of house slippers in lieu of "real shoes" (which she won't mess with unless she's going somewhere) but the slippers were such that they blended with the decorum of a slacks and blouse ensemble she was wearing at the time. Just a thought.

Celestial Fundie said...

Yes, there are some really elegant slippers you can wear.

Harry smith said...

This is really different post. what I'm trying to find, and I'm happy to come here. Thanks of both of your guys. You did really awesome work... Grass protection mesh buy from http://groundreinforcementmeshuk.co.uk/grass-protection-mesh-premium.html

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your great shear. Your blog is really awesome. I am very happy to see this. It is totally useful for me. Once again thanks for sharing. Order best quality gym mats on http://www.gymflooringuk.co.uk/