Friday, July 03, 2009

Wow, this confirms a lot of things

Britain’s ‘Chaps’ Too (House) Proud To Party

18-24 year olds are Britain's most house-proud and cautious hosts, as financial concerns around home dramas turn people into paranoid party poopers, reveals Greenbee Home Insurance.

Step aside Hyacinth Bucket. Turning stereotypes on their head, research reveals that 18-24 year olds are turning into a nation of CHAPS…that’s Cautious Hosts Against Party Stress. Twenty-six per cent of the house-proud and overly cautious young hosts make guests remove their shoes to safeguard their floors, almost double that of those aged 65+ (14%) who may have been expected to be the most mishap-minded.


A study has found that young people in Britain aged 18-24 are the most likely hosts to ask guests to remove their shoes. Apparently this is most common in the Midlands (where I have lived most of my life).

Maybe I am a but surpised about the Midlands bit. In my experience, removing shoes is more common in the south.

But as for young people, I totally see that. The article mentions finance as being the main reason, but I think it is also the fact that many of us were required to remove shoes when we were children. We have sort of grown up with removing shoes.

The future is bright, the future is Offalist

9 comments:

richyrich said...

A very interesting article which bodes well for the future. The other night I visited a friend for a meal (it was a new house she's only recently moved into)and when I came in I saw her barefoot and spotless light carpets everywhere and a few pairs of shoes at the door and as soon as I'd come in I asked her if she wanted me to take my shoes off, thinking that she would expect it of me but she then said "No, don't be silly" and I then stayed in my shoes the whole time I was there even though she was barefoot the whole time. What would you have done if you'd been in my place?

I've been thinking of inviting her over for a meal at my place before long, but given the fact that she dismissed my offer to remove my shoes at her place (thinking it was "silly")it's difficult for me to know how to handle it if and when she comes over. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

seeing a white carpet+a barefoot host+shoes at the door I'd just take mine off without any questions;
maybe she was just shy to ask you for this

Celestial Fundie said...

Anon, thanks for joining in.

Rich, I would have taken my shoes off without asking.

If she said it 'was silly' I still would have removed my shoes.

She may have preferred you to remove them, but thought it more polite or bashful to refuse.

Invite her for a meal. You will set her a good example by asking for shoes-off.

She will see it is not a 'silly' thing but something decent and respectable people can do.

God Bless

Matthew

Bob said...

Rich, I have to agree with the other posters, you should have removed your shoes. You could have used that as an opening for your own shoes off rule. When she comes to your home for dinner, it might be a bit akward for you to request that she remove her shoes as you did not show the same consideration at her home. If you have a shoes off rule at your home, I think that when you visit you should, under most circumstances, remove your shoes

Anonymous said...

It seems to me a very British issue. I am the only person I know that takes my shoes off in someone's home without being asked/instructed first.
I have visited homes where hosts have said there was no need and still gone ahead.
But in 99% of all homes it is never raised and most would never think to do it anyway. But you shouldn't feel restricted. If the lady comes to your home and asks if she should take off her shoes you shouldn't be afraid to say yes.

richyrich said...

Some people may think you'd be too "forward" if you simply took off your shoes upon entering their homes without saying or asking anything. If and when this lady does come to my place, it'll be interesting to see if she will take of fher shoes or offer to do so without being asked, especially upon seeing me shoeless, my carpets and if she remembered my offer to do so at her house.

Celestial Fundie said...

Bob, don't be too hard on Richyrich.

Back in the early days of this blog I actually wrote a post in which I stated that my policy was not to remove shoes unless asked. for the same reason that Rich gives that it might be seen as 'too forward.'

I think what changed my policy most was stopping wearing lace-up shoes (after going to Japan).

When you don't have to mess about unlacing shoes, it feels more natural to remove them without being asked.

God bless

Matthew

Celestial Fundie said...

Anonymous, are you British or from another country?

(I would be grateful if you could sign in with a name or nickname when you post)

Celestial Fundie said...

Rich, don't forget to let us know what happens.

And if she does not offer, then make sure you ask her nicely to remove them!