Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Shoe Covers

Occasionally some people suggest shoe covers as an alternative to shoe-removal.

I have expressed scepticism before that shoe covers can be worn with high heeled shoes. I find it impossible to imagine what an high-heeled shoe with a cover on would look like. Shirley Saunders supports my suspicion. She points out in her book that shoe covers can be damaged by high heeled shoes.

From an aesthetic point of view, I would not want people walking about my home in covered shoes. I want it to be a place of relaxation not a crime scene. In any case, I think most people would feel sillier and more self-conscious in shoe covers than in socks or bare feet.

2 comments:

richyrich said...

I recently put an advert at an online agency asking for a lodger to rent a room in my house and this evening someone came along and seemed interested but he said he'll let me know his intentions on Sunday. However, after he came through the door he took his shoes off without me having to ask him. That was great to see and would definately help to create a good relationship if he does end up as my lodger. However if he does move in I'll have to make clear to him that the same rule will also apply to any visitors he'll have here. I'll keep you posted about what happens anyway.

Celestial Fundy said...

Please do keep us informed. Thanks.