Monday, October 12, 2009

Getting Drunk

I once came back to my parents' house after a session at Worcester Beer Festival. I had drunk quite a few pints of strong ale. When I came in, my father immediately reminded me to remove my shoes. I don't think he realised at the time how ingrained the practice of removing shoes was in me. I doubt that even in a drunken state I would forget to remove my shoes. Naturally, with the beer festival being held at a race course, he was worried about all the mud.

I suppose if somebody has only just got into the habit of removing shoes, getting drunk might cause them to lapse.

It's my job to alert people to the consequences of heavy drinking, so here is a good reason not to get drunk: You might forget to remove your shoes and bring all kinds of dirt onto your carpet.

4 comments:

richyrich said...

I just thought you might be interested to know that I received Shirley Sauders' book yesterday (Monday, 12 October) and I've already managed to read it and enjoyed it. I agree with almost all that she says but in one place she thinks that we've got to be prepared for people to think we're "stuck up" if we practice a "no shoes policy". I think she's probably being too pessimistic there and that more and more people can see the point of it now even if they don't (yet) practice it themselves.
And being able to refer to this book and all teh research she quotes in it will hopefully help us to sell the merits of the policy to others.

Celestial Fundy said...

It is a good book.

John (10:10) Cole said...

Great Post! I mean it.

John (10:10)

Celestial Fundy said...

Thanks, John.