Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sorry, but you don't

I sometimes read blogs where the writer says 'I have a shoes-off policy in my home.' Then in the next paragraph, she states 'I would never ask visitors to remove their shoes.'

I am sorry, but if you normally let visitors come in your home with their shoes on you do not have a shoes-off policy. You have a shoes-on policy. You permit shoes to be worn in your home that have been on public toilet floors, which have walked on weed-killer saturated drives and which have walked on lead paint.

It is not reasonable to assume that your guests have cleaner shoes than your children or your husband.

6 comments:

goe said...

A BIG AMEN to that Matthew! : )

When it comes to a shoes off policy, it's EITHER/OR!

Moderate Mouse said...

In case anyone's interested, earlier today, I wrote a post about how a type of person called the Accommodite (and yes, I made that term up) would handle the whole shoe issue. (I may end up doing a follow-up post to it at some point, but I'm not totally sure.) It can be found at the following link:

http://thewayoftheaccommodite.blogspot.com/2010/04/shoes-and-private-home-whats.html

In case any of you do see it, I will warn you all right now (including you, CF): it is a bit lengthy (I got a bit carried away), and I don't know how much of it anybody here will agree with. If you get anything out of it yourself, that's great. If you don't, that's okay too. If you'd like to leave a comment, you are perfectly welcome to do so.

Celestial Fundy said...

Thanks for visiting. Gary.

What do you do on this front?

richyrich said...

Have you seen this link?

http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/health/2156249,FIT-News-Shoes14.article

Celestial Fundy said...

I did exchange some emails with the author of that article.

Moderate Mouse said...

First off, CF, thanks for the feedback on my post regarding the Accommodite approach to the shoe issue.

Second, I don't know if you'd be interested, but just so you know, I did a follow-up to said post. The follow-up can be veiwed at:

http://thewayoftheaccommodite.blogspot.com/2010/04/at-risk-of-contradicting-myself-follow.html


A day or two after I had written the original post, I realized there was some ground that I hadn't covered in the original post so I tried to cover it in the follow-up. I don't know how much you'd agree with what I put even in the follow-up, but it's what I came up with personally.