Friday, May 07, 2010

Somehow I have to make this post about removing shoes...

I am naturally feeling pleased about the election results. Although the Conservatives did not gain an overall majority, we are now the largest party in parliament. Having campaigned for my local candidate in Stevenage, Stephen McPartland, I was delighted by his success.

This is not a political blog, or even a personal diary blog, so I have to find some kind of link to removing shoes in homes.

Okay, those of you who advocate removing shoes for environmental concerns will be pleased by the success of Caroline Lucas, who is now the first Green Party member of parliament in Britain. You may also be pleased to hear about the success of Zac Goldsmith, the millionaire environmentalist, who stood as Conservative candidate in Richmond Park.

Speaking of Zac Goldsmith, his sister, Jemima Khan had a front row seat at the count. Both the Daily Mail and the BBC reporter mentioned her removing her shoes during the count. I suppose its not classic etiquette, but if you are up all night its only natural to want to get comfortable.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean about etiqutte?

I would just make 2 observations.

Firstly, it looks like she did'nt wear very practical or comfortable shoes. Presumably, she was going to be there for some time so just decided to take them off. Seems snsible to me.

Secondly, a lot of counts are held in public builidings, and if she walked around barefoot a lot I imagine her feet would get dirty. Not good if she then went and walked on a carpet or something when she went home!!

Sandro said...

In Germany, a certain Aygul Ozkan, of Turkish origins, has become a government member; I guess she may be a personal example of shoes off.

Celestial Fundy said...

Anonymous, thanks for the comment. Have you visited before?

I meant that her removing her shoes was not conventional, which I suppose is why the radio commentator and the Daily Mail mentioned it.

Celestial Fundy said...

Sandro, that maybe so.

Are you offering to do some undercover journalism?

You could pretend to be an Arab sheikh proposing a business deal and see what happens when she invites you over.

Sandro said...

What do you mean? Is it British humour?)

Anonymous said...

I thought you might be interessted in something which happened yesterday, and illustrates the perils of keeping shoes on in people's houses.

I work for a consumer finaqnce company, and often visit clients in their homes.

Although it is not company policy or anything I alwys remove my shoes at the front door. I do this at home and when visting friends, and it just seems the natual thing to do to me.

Anyway, over the last week or so I have had a young colleague (Helen) accompany me. She has only recently joined the company and this is part of her training.

Anyway, although we have discussed it briefly she has been keeping her shoes on when visiting clients.

Yesterday, it had been wet overnight, but although I removed my shoes she again kept hers on. The meeting involved going through the lady's existing investments and at one pooint I had to go to my car to pick up a file.

I should probably mention that there was no one else in the house.

As I walked through the hall to go to my car I was horrified to see that there were dirty footprints on the floor from my collegue's shoes. Worse than this she had also walked an old cigerette stub in. I picked this up and discreetly got rid of it. I did'nt want to embarass my colleague, but had to say soemthing. The lady was remarkably calm about it under the circumstances. To be fair Helen was very apologetic and immediately took her shoes off.

When we were on our way back to the office I again explained why it was a good idea to remove shoes, and I think she now undersatands and she has said she will definately do it in the future. She said one reaseon why she had'nt doine it was that whereas I wear court shoes that are easy to slip on and off her shoes have a buckle accroos the front. I did point out to her that she could un-buckle them before calling or even just wear them with the buckles un-done if necessary.

Hope this may be of interest.

Chloe.

Celestial Fundy said...

Sandro, yes, that was British humour.

Celestial Fundy said...

Chloe, thankyou so much for sharing that story.