Saturday, June 05, 2010

Housewife of NYC- Green Tour: Entry (Part 1)

Housewife of NYC- Green Tour: Entry (Part 1)

'I think it’s a must to have everyone who enters your home remove their shoes, especially if you live in an urban area. Did you know that having a place to sit down near the entry to remove shoes and store them is one of the requirements in order to get LEED certification? (In case you don’t already know, LEED is an “internationally recognized green building certification system” developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.) Removing your shoes will have a significant impact on the quality of the air in your home, not to mention how much cleaning your floors require!

Some people worry about offending their guests. In all the years that we have been doing this, no one has ever been upset. Every once in a while people ask why, but when I tell them what comes in on our feet effects our (and our cats’) health, it’s never been a problem. When our cats all ended up with hookworms, I asked the vet how on earth they got them as indoor only cats and the answer was, “they probably came in on the bottom of someone’s shoe.” Ew.'

6 comments:

Sandro said...

interesting: somebody from Greece says it's common to take shoes off there

http://www.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=22245&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=90

richyrich said...

It's good to see that it is a LEED requirement for homes to have designated places for shoe removal, a sign that it is officially recognised to be an environmentally friendly practice

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing the link to my blog and commenting on my post. You have a great blog here with some very interesting discussions. Since I was focusing on the "green" aspects when I wrote, I didn't say much about the atmosphere it creates or the potential fashion implications, but those are also very good points. There was once a Sex & the City episode where Carrie's shoes get stolen during a party at a "shoes off" home!

Also, about the atmosphere, we chose decorations for our home that we felt made for a relaxed atmosphere and I think removing shoes adds to people feeling more relaxed and and at home. On their first visit, people have often used the words cozy and homey to describe our apartment.

Thanks again, I will definitely be reading more in your blog!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

I am not sure whether this is of any interest.

I was staying at a hotel in Bristol last night on business, (a very good one).

Anyway, when I went down for breakfast this morning it was early and fairly quite in the resturant.

The waitress who served me was I would guess in her mid 20's. Anyway, she was wearing a white top, black skirt and black stockinged feet with no shoes.

I think she must have noticed me looking at her feet as she said something like "sorry about the lack of shoes".

She seemed chatty so I asked her if they were hurting. It turned out that she had got them wet walking home in the heavy rain we hasdhere last night and found they were still wet this morning.

She said they were the only pair of work shoes she had which was why she was shoesless!!

Must admit I felt a bit sorry for her.

Rob.

Celestial Fundy said...

Thanks for dropping in, Sarah.

Celestial Fundy said...

Rob, thanks for visiting and sharing your story.

What do you think about removing shoes in homes?