Monday, July 19, 2010

Guest Post from Richyrich no.2

Paul and Anne's Story

Paul and Anne are both teachers in their late 40's and live in the Midlands. They have two teenege children (a son and a daughter) both of whom are still at school and living at home.

Last year they had a major extension done to their house. Whilst the work was going on the ground around their house was very messy and they decided that until the work was finished, the whole family should take their shoes off when entering the house in order to keep the place clean. The original plan was for it just to be a temporary measure and that the wearing of shoes indoors would resume afterwards.

However one thing they noticed was that as soon as they started removing their shoes, the house was much cleaner even compared to what it was before the building work began. Cleaning had to be done less frequently which for two busy working people was a major bonus! They then decided to make the "shoes off policy" permanent and carry on with it even after the work was complete. At first their children were not keen on the idea, they have friends over quite often, and the thought of having to get them to unshoe themselves every time they visited did not appeal to them.

Eventually they were won over and now more than a year on and the buiding work just a memory, the whole family take off their shoes in the house all the time without thinking about it. The children's friends do it every time they visit as well. Indeed some have actually commented that they like the practice as it makes them feel more comfortable!

9 comments:

Moderate Mouse said...

Just so you know, the word "Guest" in the title is spelled "Gues".

Sandro said...

Richyrich, which of these stories are true?

Bob said...

Sandro, I know that you directed your question to Richyrich, but just to let you know my post on Susan's Saga is true.

Sandro said...

thank you, Bob, for sharing that
I guessed it was 'cause you said somebody had encountered the situation

richyrich said...

Sandro,
Both of my stories are fictional but they based in part on real life situations. As far as Kathy's story is concerned, it was based on a woman I knew several years ago who was a legal secretary and a single mother and who said that she was planning to have light coloured carpets in her house after her child had left home. However, that was before I was converted to the "shoes off" cause and when she mentioned it I did not raise the issue of shoe removal. I would now of course.

Paul and Anne are based on a family I knew, again a long time ago, who did have a temporary shoes off rule whilst they were having an extension done to their house but unfortunately they reverted to type after the work was finished. Again if I had known them today, I would have done my best to persuade them to make the rule permanent.

However, as I understand it, the purpose of these fictional characters is to show that a shoes off policy can be an appropriate one for all kinds of people from all age groups, regions, social classes and walks of life.

Moderate Mouse said...

I hate to bring this up, but I just noticed that what I'm sure is supposed to be "building" in the last paragraph is spelled "buiding". (However, I'll understand if it has to be left as is since it's a guest post.)

Doctor of Podiatry Discusses and Recommends Shoes. said...

Wow! I am a Podiatrist and a huge part of my practice is built on people walking barefoot and picking up warts, foreign bodies as well as developing tendonitis, broken toes not to mention aggravating knee, hip and lower back problems. I always tell my patients that if I had a sign in the waiting room that said, "Stop walking barefoot" - I'd lose a lot of business. When people tell me that walking with shoes in the house messes up their carpet - I respond, "What do you value more - your carpet or your feet?"
Hope you are having a wonderful day,
Dr. C. McCarthy

Celestial Fundy said...

From what I have heard, most podriatists in the UK have no problem with most healthy people going barefoot in their own homes. I understand in the USA, podriatists are more resistant to people going barefoot.

Kev said...

I'm tempted to ask: "What's more important, people's health or your business?"