Sunday, July 04, 2010

Upstairs Downstairs

re-post

Some people have a rule in their house that people may keep their shoes on downstairs, but not upstairs. In a similar manner some people require only overnight guests to remove their shoes.

I understand that the upstairs is a more intimate part of the house and the place where sleeping is done (so a natural place to keep allergy-free). However, I really do not see the need to only go half-way on the shoes-off policy. Who wants a clean carpet upstairs and a dirty one downstairs? Besides most peoples' children will be playing as often on the floors downstairs as the floors upstairs.

It seems much more simpler and straightforward to have the whole house shoe-free.

4 comments:

richyrich said...

I can't understand the logic of taking shoes off to go upstairs but keeping them on downstairs. Surely it's far simpler just to take them off as soon as you come in and then keep them off until you go out again

Shoe Wearer said...

I just found this blog, and I have to say that I hate the practice of having to take off shoes. Of course, I abide by the wishes of the homeowner, but I dislike it.

I never require this of my guests under any circumstance and my flooring has never been any worse in condition than those of others. Forcing a guest to remove any article of clothing is a rather odd and even rude request, IMO.

Note that not having guests remove shoes for a party does little bad to a floor and consider that if that is the case, a few people at a time won't make much difference.
I also doubt that the very rich with very expensive homes and pricey flooring strut about the place in their socks! And I've yet to hear the rich complain about constant replacement of floors/carpets as a result

This is speculation, but I suspect that a good deal of the practice stems from the owner wanting a sense of control; it is a rule for rule's sake just so they can feel "in charge".

Celestial Fundy said...

Thanks for visiting and sharing your opinion.

Catherine said...

Thanks for your comment on my post and sending me your link. I am enjoying your posts.

Catherine
VGNgoods.com