Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Keep Security Checks On Shoes!


Martin Broughton, the head of British Airways has attacked requirements at UK airports to remove shoes for security.

I think checks on shoes should be maintained. It is a simple precaution that helps to keep people safe when flying. A metal detector is not going to detect plastic explosives for the simple reason that they are plastic. It is just a simple precaution; it's not like you are being asked to take off your clothes.

More significantly, there is something deeply ironic about having to remove shoes at airports that makes a wonderful moral point.


The ability to enable people to defy gravity is one of mankind's greatest achievements. The power to make a mass of metal, carrying a cargo of men and women fly higher than the birds is a true wonder. Airports are the height of our civilization, places that enable transport across the globe, a phenomena undreamed of in previous centuries. Yet in those very places, we must humble ourselves by removing shoes. At the airport we all find our common humanity. Great and small, rich and poor must all stand in stocking and bare feet. There is something wonderfully levelling about this.

In my opinion, people who make a fuss about having to take their shoes off at airport security need more of a sense of humour.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I travel a lot on business and carry a pair of "travel slippers" in my bag.

At the airport ijust change into them and keep them on until the plane is called.

I heard this suggested on a radio travel programme and it really works nad is comfy alternative to heels.

Lara.

Sandro said...

good one, CF
good idea, Lara )

Celestial Fundy said...

I'm not sure Lady Gaga or Victoria Beckham saw the funny side of it.

Celestial Fundy said...

Lara, thanks for visiting.

Celestial Fundy said...

Sandro, thanks. Is airport security tight in Georgia?

Anonymous said...

Omg that's hot ;)

Moderate Mouse said...

The only time I've traveled by air my entire life was over the Christmas holiday six years ago to see my dad in St. Louis. (I was living in Santa Fe, New Mexico with my mom at the time. She and my stepdad and I live in Kansas now, but I digress.) I remember having to take my shoes off (as well as my coat) at airport security. I didn't have any problem with it at the time (that I can recall). If it's a necessity, it's a necessity.

(By the way, in the last sentence of the second paragraph, both instances of "it's" are missing apostrophes.)

Sandro said...

Tight enough to have people shoeless )

Anonymous said...

There is a young lady who works as a secretary in our office.

She takes her boots off as soon as she arrives and pads around in her stockinged feet all day.

Gary.

Moderate Mouse said...

The shoes-off thing came up briefly on the radio station that I normally listen to in the mornings when trying to wake up.

One of the DJs said he doesn't like going into a house and being expected to take his shoes off. (Presumably, it's to protect the carpeting, wherever it is he's been that has that rule, to which he says, "Well, get rid of the carpet.) Nobody refuted him on this, but another one of th DJs said that her grandfather had a rule that required shoes to stay on out of fear of the oils from one's feet ruining the floor or something like that.

I'm scheduled to stay overnight at my sister's tomorrow and Saturday and will be taking my "slipper habit" with me again like I did this summer. At her place, shoes seldom, if ever, are removed at the door. (In theory, shoes stay on until one reaches their bedroom and only if they will not knowingly be going back out anytime soon. In practice, sometimes shoes are taken off in one of the living rooms and left there until one needs them again or thinks to put them away.) Nonetheless, I plan on switching to slippers the first chance I get like I normally do at home. (I feel like this is something I can get away with more easily for overnight visits than non-overnight visits. Maybe one day, I'll be brave enough to extend my slipper habit to the latter.)

Celestial Fundy said...

Gary, a lot of people do that.

Thanks for visiting. What do you think about removing shoes in homes?

Celestial Fundy said...

MM, personally I am a bit sceptical about the theory about oils on feet damaging carpets.

Sandro said...

I've had dozens of people at my home daily for years, their shoes off, and my 10-year-old Turkish white-backgrounded rug still doesn't look or feel oily ), neither does the parquet )

Moderate Mouse said...

This wasn't the first time I had heard the "oil from feet" theory, and I never knew whether or not it was really true. It's just that, depending on the situation, being in shoes or at least shoe-like slippers (like the black ballet flat ones I have on now) makes it more likely for me to enter the frame of mind needed to take part in something active and/or serious than does being bare-footed or sock-footed, which I mainly reserve for lounging about or at most stepping onto the scale to check my weight. But that's just me.