Sunday, February 27, 2011

Neat Freaks?

re-post

It is commonly thought that people who insist on shoes-off in their homes are neat freaks who are obsessed with keeping their homes clean and tidy.

I dare say that there are some people who prefer shoes-off who are genuine neat freaks. And those who are Obsessive-Compulsive about cleanliness may well be among the shoes-off community.

Of course this is culturally relative. In Japan it is thought that money is dirty and unhygeinic because it is handled by untold numbers of people. Japanese people also regard any objects placed in bathrooms, such as books or ornaments to be 'dirty'. A person in a western society who held such attitudes would almost certainly be regarded as Obsessive-Compulsive.

I have known a number of people who really were excessive in their desire to keep their homes clean. Interestingly, these people did not require visitors to remove their shoes. I suspect that they probably spent so much time in cleaning their homes that they were happy to waste time cleaning up after their visitors.

Many people who keep their homes shoe-free are not domestic goddesses who like nothing better than spending whole days doing spring cleaning. Rather, they are busy working people who have far better things to do. They do not want to clean up for the sake of it, but they know that living in a clean environment is healthier and far more pleasent. Knowing that time is precious they would rather keep the mess to the minimum and spend as little time as possible cleaning up after their visitors. Prevention is better than cure.

Nobody needs a house that is spotless, but it is pointless to allow dirt and dust to accumulate when it could easily be kept out by leaving shoes at the door. A floor is meant to be walked upon, but that does not mean that one should not reduce wear and tear and save time and money.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello my name's Andy and I wrote about the dinner I went to at the weekend.

I think someone asked if they were her own slippers - yes they were.

I have no idea why she was wearing them though as her shoes looked spotless.

I rang to thank the lady whose house it was, and asked about this girl wearing slippers and she said that she always does it when she visits.

Andy.

Sandro said...

Thank you, Andy. I would appreciate if you would answer the other question of mine (I've copy-pasted it)
You wrote
"It was'nt a formal dinner party and we were all wearing shoes"
does it mean it's a formal status of a dinner party which assumes shoes taken off?)

Celestial Fundy said...

Andy, thanks for coming back here.

The fact her shoes looked spotless does not mean that they had not been walked in a public convenience beforehand.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Not sure if you remeber but I posted a while back about the shoes off policy at my daughters school.

I think i may have mentioned that both myself and my older daughter wear slippers in our jobs.

I work in admin for a property company and my daughter works in a jewllery shop.

Neither of us much likes wearing shoes indoors and maybe this lady is the same.

Julie.

Sandro said...

Good to hear from you again, Julie; do the managers comment the issue in any of the two places?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandro,

It has'nt really been a problem.

I keep my shoes by my desk so I can slip them on if I need to.

When my daughter started her job she took her shoes off in work, but was tod that she shoudl'nt, so I suggested she wear slippers.

I should point out that we both wear failrly smart leather slippers not the fluffy bedroom type.

Really hope you don't think it's silly but we prefer it to shoes.

Julie.

Sandro said...

Julie, so do I in my office. You are absolutely right shoes are not to wear indoors.

Anonymous said...

That's great to hear.

Do you just go shoeless or change into slippers?

I completely agree with you - indoors as long as the floor is clean I usually prefer taking my shoes off.

Julie.

Sandro said...

Always shoeless at people's homes and at my own place; regarding the office, it has tiled floor, so I change into black leather slippers or put on extra socks, extremely thick and sole-reinforced, in winter months, and stay shoeless when it gets warm enough.

Anonymous said...

I am gald someone else feet the same way.

I find slippers so much more comfy and practical.

Julie.

Sandro said...

I think billions share the idea in the world. Proponents of tramplianism refer to the aesthetical aspects of wearing shoes. However, aesthetics is just a transformation of practicality; shoes have been invented for protecting our feet from dirt and cuts outdoors, not for squeezing them all day long and spoilling indoor environment. Shoes indoors should not be considered then as a necessary aesthetic component (I'd say the opposite)