Saturday, November 12, 2011

Simple Pleasures: Do you take your Shoes off at the Door

Simple Pleasures: Do you take your Shoes off at the Door

Taking off your shoes before you enter your home is the public health equivalent of washing your hands. It's free, it couldn't be easier, and yet not many people do it. Dirt isn't the only thing tracked into homes by shoes. Think about the residues of outdoor pollutants might be on your soles: pesticides, automobile exhaust, lead, allergens, plus other carcinogens and endocrine disrupters. These all pose significant risk to all family members and can reach hazardous levels with repeated treading, especially in rugs and carpets. Children and pets are especially vulnerable because they’re in closer contact with the floor than most adults.

11 comments:

Moderate Mouse said...

I had noted last week that I was planning on having my fiance over for dinner for which I opted to wear a formal dark blue dress with some ballet flat slippers in lieu of actual dress shoes.

I did that Thursday night. He didn't say anything about the slippers in and of themselves. He did however at one point in the evening say that I seemed shorter than usual unless he was imagining it. (I was not offended when he said that; if I did I did.) That's when I pointed out to him that I was in slippers which were flatter than the sneakers (or shoes with a comparable sole) that I normally wore whenever I was with him and that was probably why I seemed shorter. (I actually had to show him I was in slippers since the dress in question was apparently made under the assumption that one would have longer legs than I do and/or be wearing high heels with the dress as it was floor length on me which was probably the only downside to wearing it with the slippers as I kept stepping on it from time to time. I think if I was going to wear the dress out somewhere and/or more often, I'd arrange to have it hemmed regardless of my footwear of choice with it.)

Anonymous said...

I work as a secretary for a firm of patent / trade mark attorneys in the UK and during winter always go stocking footed around the office.

I wear boots to the office which i reomve on arrival and pad around shoeless all day.

Matthew Celestis said...

Good for you.

What do you think about removing shoes in homes?

Anonymous said...

I don't allow shoes in my home, everyone is to take their shoes off at the door.

Matthew Celestis said...

Excellent. Do you live in the UK or elsewhere?

Sandro said...

She said she was from the UK, Mat)

Matthew Celestis said...

Oh yes, she did! I must read comments more carefully.

Sandro said...

I hope UK offalists are not limited to those who post here)

Matthew Celestis said...

Would I have any spare time if all the Offalists in Georgia left comments here?

Sandro said...

You've scored back, Mat )

Cheap Runescape Gold said...

Excellent...

RS GP