Friday, January 06, 2012

Brooklyn Twig: Leave Your Shoes Behind

Brooklyn Twig: Leave Your Shoes Behind

'It wasn't until I moved to the Park Slope neighborhood in Brooklyn that I became aware of entire communities (outside of Asia!) that expect you to remove your shoes on entering a home. My sister had done it for years in her Boston home, to the chagrin of our parents whose holiday outfit plans included the shoes and who felt lost (and cold) without them.


But, there are a lot of good reasons to remove shoes in a home -- even one without kids. The key is to make it work for your visitors, so here are some tips and ideas from around the blogosphere to make it work for everyone.'

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are some great tips. I recently made the switch in my home from shoes on to shoes off at the door.

Matthew Celestis said...

Thanks for visiting.

They are good tips, though I think in the UK offering slippers probably wouldn't work so well. At least judging by the people I have talked to about it.

Amandaclured said...

I live in the U.S. and find most people would not want to use slippers. In my house everyone takes off their shoes and just walks around in their socks. I am always in my socks in the house.

Matthew Celestis said...

It is strange that so many 'etiquette experts' recommend having a basket of slippers by the door. I think it shows they are out of touch.

Ajlounyinjurylaw said...

I simply say "no shoe rule"...keeps the carpets clean.

Matthew Celestis said...

It does.

Amandaclured said...

There are also several "etiquette experts" that think asking someone to remove their shoes is in poor taste. Many of my friends maintain the same rule in their own home and I don't see how asking to abide by house rules is poor taste.

Holly said...

If you ask me i want my floor clean no shoes.

Runescape Gold said...

In my house everyone takes off their shoes and just walks around in their socks. I am always in my socks in the house.

Buy Runescape Gold