Sunday, June 30, 2013

Mabel Kwong: Hi, I’m Asian. Come In, Leave Your Shoes On. Or Not

Mabel Kwong: Hi, I’m Asian. Come In, Leave Your Shoes On. Or Not

When an odd job or two needs to be done around our place, my mum welcomes the likes of contractors, plumbers and furniture delivery men into our Melbourne flat.

When she opens the door, these Caucasian handymen and tradesmen always politely ask, “Do we take our shoes off?”

And to my utter surprise and disbelief, each time my mum cheerily says, “No, no, no! It’s OK! Come in! Leave your shoes on!”

3 comments:

Elain Smith said...

Well,that never happens in Canada,lol,I am always required to remove my shoes when going to a clients home rain or shine

Adam Sednaoui said...

Hey great blog! I had guests today and I always, always have a no shoes policy at home. One guest asked me in a sneering way 'Is this a Muslim thing'. And I replied 'No its a HYGIENE - thing'.

Matthew Celestis said...

I'm glad you do. Thanks for visiting.

Whereabouts in the world do you live?