Friday, July 12, 2013

Rurally Screwed: The Shoe Free Home

Rurally Screwed: The Shoe Free Home

"I’d tried to implement a shoe free zone in our house for years but Jake always poo-pooed the idea. He thought it was asking too much to expect him to remove his dirty boots and muddy shoes every time he needed to come inside and get something to eat or fetch something. I had no choice but to let it go and get used to the fine layer of dirt and grit always on the bottom of my bare feet.

But after he came home from Afghanistan, he sort of fell into the shoes off routine without much coaxing from me. I like to think it’s because he came around to my point of view (because he knows I’m always right — yeah, right); a house is so much nicer without muddy tracks and shoe dirt everywhere. Especially in an environment like ours where we’re always stepping in chicken poop and mud and other nastiness."

9 comments:

Mark said...

Last night the vicar came round for a chat. I asked him to take off his shoes and he was fine with this. When he left later, he was so relaxed that he almost forgot to put his shoes back on again. This goes to show that not only is it cleaner to take off your shoes in the house, it is much more relaxing.

Matthew Celestis said...

Excellent. Good for you.

Anonymous said...

With all this warm weather at my daughter school they have bought in their hot weather policy - eithin the school they don't have to wear balzers, ties or shoes.

Matthew Celestis said...

Is that in the UK? That's an interesting policy. A lot of schools would be too safety conscious to let pupils dispense with shoes.

Mark said...

We were at a church home group meeting last week. It was held in the curates lovely house and we all automatically removed our shoes at the door.

Matthew Celestis said...

Excellent.

Is that a rule that he has or was that more a gesture of courtesy on your part?

Mark said...

This is her rule.

Matthew Celestis said...

Good for her. I think many clergy have that rule they tend to get a lot of visitors to their homes.

Mark said...

This is true. I remember as a child going to the vicarage and the vicar insisted on everyone removing their shoes.