Friday, May 30, 2014

As the Sun in its Orb & New Goliards: Solve calceamentum de pedibus tuis

As the Sun in its Orb & New Goliards: Solve calceamentum de pedibus tuis

Solve calceamentum de pedibus tuis: locus enim, in quo stas, terra sancta est.

We all know about Moses and the Burning Bush (Exodus 3), and how God commanded him to take off his shoes since the place of divine revelation was holy ground. Last Good Friday, I took off my sandals (which I wear throughout the year outside the coldest months) for the veneration of the Cross. I ignored the rubric where it says that the priest puts his shoes back on, and continued up to the end of the ceremony in bare feet. It was quite a discovery, since I had fewer distractions than I often have during Mass and Office.

I also remember a visit to a Coptic church in England some years ago, where the priest asked me to take my shoes off, exactly as Muslims do when they enter their mosque. Walking around with bare feet is another experience of a place, an intimate communion with the ground and the place.

A post by Father Anthony Chadwick, a priest in the Anglican Catholic Church-Original Province, who was kind enough to mention this blog.

7 comments:

Mark said...

The weather here has been very wet all week, mud is everywhere. A client came to see me today in Wellies.I have a rather nice rug in my office. I asked her if she would take her wellies off. She absolutely said it was ok as she makes everyone take their shoes off at the door in her house.

Bob said...

Needless to say that was very polite of her. However under the circumstances, having muddy boots , she really did not have much choice!

Mark said...

You would be surprised Bob. Ive been on homevisits and watched support workers waltz in homes with lovely carpets without removing their shoes.

Paul said...

Mark, was it your home office or your company's office? It might seem a bit odd for some people to take their shoes off in a place of business.

Bob said...

Mark it is hard to believe that people can be so inconsiderate.
I may have mentioned that our home is for sale. Our real-estate
agent recommended that we do not impose our no shoes rule on perspective buyers and we agreed.
We have noticed that when our home has been shown on days when the weather has been bad that the people viewing it have done so shoeless. We can tell from the footprints left on the carpet!

Mark said...

I agree Bob.
With regard to the house showing I would ask everyone to take off their shoes.

Bob said...

Mark,
I would like to keep our no shoes rule in place, but the market in our area is not robust to say the least so we have gone with the realtors suggestion. As I mentioned in bad weather people have been considerate