Sunday, October 19, 2014

Home.Health.Love: Why You Should Have a No-Shoe Policy at Home

Home.Health.Love: Why You Should Have a No-Shoe Policy at Home

'Since having kids, we’ve instituted a no-shoe policy in our house. My three-year-old daughter is so used to this, that she immediately takes off her shoes whenever we go to someone else’s home, and she’ll often ask me why others aren’t doing the same.

I always find it awkward to ask guests to remove their shoes and it feels like an imposition. They just arrived and here I am making a demand of them! I am aware of the nuisance, but I have good reasons for it.

Studies have shown that people track in all sorts of harmful toxins from outside the home when they walk into the house without removing their shoes. These toxins persist in the air in the form of dust, which is inhaled and absorbed by our skin as it settles on the floor and furniture. Chemicals stay in the air and on surfaces longer in our homes than they do outdoors, where the sun and rain help break down pesticide residues.'

12 comments:

Mark said...

It can be hard sometimes asking guests to take their shoes off. But what is the alternative? Last week the vicar came round to our house. Even though he knows we are strict about shoes coming off at the door, he still tried to walk in without removing his shoes. I politely, but casually, reminded him to remove his shoes.

Matthew Celestis said...

Shame on that vicar! very surprising behaviour.

Anonymous said...

At a dinner party last night a lady arrived in high heels but changed into smart slippers at the door, even though everyone else kept their shoes on.

Matthew Celestis said...

Good on her

Mark said...

We we go to church home groups, everyone always takes their shoes off at the door.
Incidentally did anyone see the program, Sarah Beenys How to sell your house? Prospective home buyers took their shoes off when looking around one family house. I have been viewing homes recently and I always take my shoes off.

Matthew Celestis said...

Most people remove their shoes at the church home group I attend.

Mark said...

We hold ours in various houses in the parish and we all take off our shoes at every house

Matthew Celestis said...

Remind me which part of the UK you live. Was it Cumbria?

Mark said...

Derbyshire

Mark said...

But I am moving north in a few weeks

Anonymous said...

I must confess although I prefer shoes off at home I don't like asking people and usually don't mention it.

I run my own business and a few weeks ago had a lady from the Accountants visit me at home to sort out a few issues relating to my accounts.

Anyway, she left her coat and bag at the door but kept her shoes on _ I was in slippers.

After about an hour or so while having coffee she suddenly asked if it was ok if she took her shoes off.

Since then, having explained that I prefer it, she has always removed them at the door.

Paul said...

Anonymous - good story, I wondered what made her ask you whether it was ok to remove her shoes? Did she wear stockings?