Sunday, December 21, 2014

Emily Post- The Etiquette Daily: The Shoes stop here: How to accept the ‘no shoes’ policy

Emily Post- The Etiquette Daily: The Shoes stop here: How to accept the ‘no shoes’ policy

Q. I was recently in the home of close friends who announced they were going to start the ‘no shoes allowed in the home’ rule soon. I was surprised and commented ‘you aren’t serious, are you?’ They indeed are. I have always considered that rule to be downright rude and believe it communicates to the guest that the homeowners possessions are more important than they. I do not think it is hospitable. It’s their home so I guess they can do what they wish, but is there any way I can communicate my opinion without being rude? Is it rude to choose not to comply?

A. In some cultures it would be rude not to take off your shoes when entering a home. Your friends may have very good reasons for deciding no more shoes. It doesn’t necessarily mean that they consider their possessions more important than their friends. It is their home and they do have the right to make rules concerning it; so next time you visit take along a pair of slipper socks and enjoy yourself.




6 comments:

Bob said...

The advice makes perfect sense.
I am always baffled by people who think it is rude or a major inhospitable act to ask a guest to take off their shoes.
New neighbors recently moved next door. My wife was chatting with her and invited her to coffee this morning. My wife answered the door they greeted each other and my wife asked her to please take off her shoes. No issue she said sure untied her sneakers and took them off. no muss no fuss a simple reasonable request

Matthew Celestis said...

Great stuff; good to hear it.

Have a great Christmas

Bob said...

thank you Matthew, you as well

Matthew Celestis said...

Are you living in Florida yet or are you still living in South Carolina?

Bob said...

We did not move to Florida as the real-estate market here in North Carolina was less than robust. We took our home off the market this fall. We may wait another year before we explore that option again. We are leaving next Tuesday to visit friends so Happy New Year Matthew if I don't post again this year

Kelly said...

I find this request neither simple not reasonable, and will not comply with it.