Sunday, March 01, 2015

Big in Finland: No shoes at home in Finland

Big in Finland: No shoes at home in Finland



'Not only Japanese people remove their shoes when they walk into a home: Finnish people do so too.

To everyone who isn’t used to remove their shoes at the entrances of the houses – like me – this is quite shocking.

I went to Finland at the end of a summer, and it was then when I learned about this tradition. I must admit that in summer it doesn’t seem to make that much of a difference, but in winter you truly understand why Finns do what they do.

And not doing it is truly a faux-pas in Finland.'


6 comments:

Paul Jones said...

Makes sense - my understanding is that people are supposed to bring clean indoor shoes when they visit someone's home in Finland?

Also it shocked me that people change into sandal-like shoes in their offices. I think it is very unprofessional.

Matthew Celestis said...

I've worked in a lot of offices with a casual dress code where people wore sandals or flip flops in the UK. Maybe that's less common where you live.

Paul Jones said...

I work for a company with an explicit dress code where you are supposed to wear real shoes at the office - not flip-flops, not slippers, not anything that looks unprofessional. Women can get away with wearing sandals in the summer, but those have to be dressy sandals - Birkenstocks are forbidden. And my company's dress code is relaxed compared with a lot of other companies.

Matthew Celestis said...

Where do you live then?

Paul Jones said...

East Coast of the United States.

Mark said...

What's it matter what you wear in an office. It's different if you have contact with the public where a certain modicum of sartorial elegance is needed. But in am office what does it matter?