Sunday, November 01, 2015

The Local: Seven Swedish habits you get without trying

The Local: Seven Swedish habits you get without trying

'Back in the UK there's often an awkward moment when you arrive at someone's house. Should you take your shoes off? And if you ask and your host says "no it's fine", do they actually mean "yes please we've got a new carpet"? (welcome to the British habit of being over polite). In Sweden, it's a no-brainer. Everyone takes their shoes off. This is a tradition that's mostly explained by the fact that Swedes spend a lot of time outdoors, so they don't want to bring dirt or snow inside. In Swedish cities, where space is at a premium and plenty of people live in studios, you also run the risk of messing up someone's sleeping quarters. I'm a fan of this habit because it saves me housework after I have visitors. The downside is that I can't wear heels to a Swedish party.'

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I am sure this is optional for foreigners, especially women wearing heels. Who would want to wear no shoes when partying?

Matthew Celestis said...

While not all Swedes would necessarily make a fuss, I doubt they would appreciate their beautiful hardwood floors getting scratched by heels.

Kelly said...

This means they need better floors. Floors are to be walked on with shoes, so if they get scratched that easily, something is not right.

Matthew Celestis said...

Maybe in an hundred years time they will be able to make floors with nanites that self-repair any damage or wear. Until then floors are not indestructible.

Mat said...

Shoes are to protect your feet when outdoors. They're not actually required inside! For the same reason I don't wear a coat indoors either!

Elain Smith said...

Well Kelly I for one have to say I love the sight of a woman in her stockinged feet where ever it may be...........but that's just me.