Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Fashion Magazine: The best house party shoes and socks for when the host makes you take your heels off (ugh)



Fashion Magazine: The best house party shoes and socks for when the host makes you take your heels off (ugh)

There are two kinds of holiday hosts: the ones who let you slip past the welcome mat with your shoes on, and the ones who don’t. We get that they’re avoiding dirty shoes traipsing through the den and spindly stilettos getting caught in the rug, but after hours of outfit prep, having to leave a perfectly planned pair of sparkly pumps at the door when they enforce the no-shoe rule can derail your whole look (let’s face it, having to go barefoot or in your cat-print pair just won’t do). Barring stuffing a pair of socks in your clutch before leaving home, how do we get away with looking fashionable in indoor appropriate footwear?

Gucci’s fuzzy mules to the rescue! This season’s It-shoe is all the inspiration we need. It’s the perfect bridge between a chic slipper and a cozy one, and they come in every version from the simplest ivory slide to sequined paisley prints. Stow them in a shoe bag and make the quick switch as soon as you step inside. You’ll still feel polished and party-ready even though there isn’t a heel in sight. If all else fails, a pair of special socks will do the trick too. Metallic stars, painterly swirls and velvet ruffles will have you looking festive from head to toe.


This is a bit negative, but it's good to see this issue coming up in a fashion context.

9 comments:

Candace said...

Hi Matthew, Bob showed me this blog and I thought I would add a comment. I have noticed this trend of wearing fashionable flats rather than heels in the past few years. I am not sure that this is always based on floor preservation or simply the fact that it is more comfortable to spend a few hours on your feet in flats rather than heels. I do have a few pair of soft soled foldable flats that I put in my purse for such occasions. The one thing that I have noticed is that this is much more common at couples parties. I belong to a few women's groups and when we get together for a party and it is just the ladies, heels are shed and not replaced with other foot wear. I guess we ladies are more vain around men!

Matthew Celestine said...

I dare say! Thanks for the insight

Paul said...

Candace - I wonder why? Is it more comfortable (but probably less stylish) to walk around in stockinged feet rather than flats?

Candace said...

Paul,
My personal opinion is that it has more to do with vanity. When Bob gets together with his buddies to watch a football game he will dress more casually than if we are getting together with other couples just as I do. Also, again in my experience, there tends to be more standing and chatting in mixed company than when it is just women. Personally I do not think shoes versus no shoes enters into the decision when it is just women. So to answer your question, not wearing heels is more comfortable and replacing heels with flats is rooted in vanity.

Paul said...

Candace, thank you for your explanation! Perhaps I am vane, but there is no way I would walk around someone else's house in just socks or, even worse, bare feet. If they insist on no shoes, I bring my slippers along. By the way, in my own home I wear slippers but when I am entertaining I put shoes on.

Mark said...

I don't mind walking around other peoples home in socks. I agree, Paul, about bare feet. if I am going to a friends or families house then I will take slippers but otherwise I will just kick my shoes off. We live in the country so you never see women in high heels and we don't really do formal dinner parties, we just have informal and relaxed affairs. Everyone out here just takes shoes off without any hangups.

Paul said...

Mark, I see your point. You probably live in an area where people are very informal. It us a little different here. For me, going around someone's house without having at least slippers on is unacceptable as walking around their living room in my pajamas or rummaging around their fridge. Plus I just like having something on my feet. Is it unreasonable?

This is one of the reasons I would never ask any guests to take their shoes off, no matter what the weather outside is. I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable.

Mark said...

I agree Paul that it's polite when visiting and staying overnight to do things like wear slippers, respect house rules etc.
Yes the area I live in is pretty informal. It's affluent area where many are quite liberal about their lifestyles. Some will wear their pjs all day, but some would be appalled at that.
As its a rural area shoes always come off at the door. At this time of year most will,be in boots or wellies. So it's the shoes off and slippers on thing for most.
Many home in the UK have carpets throughout or a combination of carpet and hard floors. But taking shoes off at the door isn't anything new here. I was brought up to do as a child and all of my friends did the same at their homes.
Yes there are still those who think it's pretentious or snobby to ask everyone to,remove shoes. That's their right. But that view always amuses me.
Wearing shoes in the house seems really strange to me. It's not just about keeping your house clean but it's also about comfort.

Paul said...

Mark, thanks for elaborating. Where I live it is the norm to keep your shoes on at others' houses, unless they tell you otherwise. To do so it is considered proper; if you take your shoes off without being asked you can come across as overly familiar and overstaying your welcome. Usually I feel naked when I don't have at least slippers on - and really don't appreciate it when forced to walk around in my socks or, worse, barefoot.