Sunday, February 28, 2016

Disposable Slippers



In some countries, like Russia or Slovenia, if you visit somebody's house, you will be given a pair of slippers to borrow. These are re-used for future guests. I have suggested on this blog before that this is unlikely to work in British homes. Most guests will opt for bare feet or socks rather than borrow slippers that other people have worn. However, an alternative to this is to provide disposable hotel style slippers.

Looking at Amazon, this is not a cheap option. Even buying in packs, you can't get them for less than a pound a pair. Still, I was encouraged to see in the customer reviews that quite a few people are buying these sort of slippers to offer to guests in their homes.

8 comments:

Paul said...

Providing slippers is an absolute must if you insist that your guests remove your shoes. It is a simple courtesy and it takes into account the fact that most of us would not be comfortable walking around your house in socks or, worse, bare feet.

Matthew Celestine said...

Would you be willing to borrow slippers worn by a previous guest?

Paul said...

As long as they are clean and don't look worn-out.

Matthew Celestine said...

You're somebody who does not like to be shoeless.

I don't think most people I know are like that. Most people I know wouldn't mind being in socks or barefoot, but would dislike wearing slippers that had been worn by somebody else.

Paul said...

For me, being shoeless makes me feel undressed; also, it is a class issue - it makes me feel that I am forced to look like someone who cannot afford shoes. Slippers are much better.

Bob said...

I agree with Matthew...I have no issue removing my shoes but would not feel comfortable wearing previously worn slippers. We maintain a shoe free home and do not offer slippers. My wife has one friend whom she visits regularly who prefers that guests wear slippers other than when they are on carpeting. She has slippers specially set aside for regular visitors that are worn only by that person. My wife has no issue with that but will decline to wear previously worn slippers preferring to go shoeless.
We do have some friends, mostly woman, who bring slippers when they visit.

Paul said...

I would prefer wearing new slippers or, better yet, my own slippers, but would be ok wearing slippers pre-worn by others. Going shoeless, though, is completely unacceptable to me, for a variety of reasons - comfort (my feet get cold easily), class (I don't want to be forced to look like people under me who cannot afford shoes), and looks (I look undressed when I have nothing on my feet.)

Fzillion Manager said...

! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also.
pumps for women