Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Kimbrough Team: Asking Buyers to Keep My Home Clean

The Kimbrough Team: Asking Buyers to Keep My Home Clean

Dear Dave,
This might seem like a trivial question but I really need your opinion. We have our home listed and with all of wet/winter weather we’ve been having I am really frustrated trying to keep our floors clean. Is it offensive to ask potential buyers to remove their shoes or wear booties when they look at our house? I don’t want to turn people away because of the annoyance of having to remove shoes or boots, but I don’t want my floors to look messy – or get stained!


Janet – Grand Junction, CO


Janet,
Do not hesitate to request buyers remove their shoes or put on booties that you provide when they enter. This is not a turn off and any buyer who would be turned off by having to remove their shoes or put on booties…. Let them leave.

11 comments:

Bob said...

I have a friend who is a realtor in a New York City suburb. She has told me that it is her practice to remove her shoes before showing any property. As she enters with a perspective buyer or renter as she is taking off her shoes she politely says "Let's be polite and leave our shoes here" Very few object and if they do she still shows the property shoeless.

Paul said...

Booties are a good compromise. A lot of people are uncomfortable removing their shoes in others' homes and it is rather rude to make them do so. You don't want to alienate a potential buyer.

Matthew Celestine said...

Bob, as you'll have read regarding my recent property hunting, all the estate agents removed their shoes viewing properties, except for one and she removed her shoes in another property.

I was too quick removing my shoes in the properties to find out whether I'd have been asked, except for the open house where it was definitely mandated.

Paul said...

For some of us, it is a matter of policy to keep our shoes inside unless slippers are provided.

Bob said...

Hi Matthew, How is the closing going? When will you be taking possession of the property? Is the closing process as cumbersome in the UK as it can be in the US?.
Hope all is going well for you.
Bob

Paul said...

Matthew, will you invite us to your housewarming? I promise I will bring my slippers to change into!

Matthew Celestine said...

Yes, it's cumbersome and the solicitor charges you the Earth. I won't be moving in next week.

Matthew Celestine said...

I'll be holding an housewarming. You can come, but after paying legal fees and buying furniture, I can't pay for your plane tickets.

Michael said...

Bob, I live in New York City myself and I always leave my shoes at the door in my own house. Living in the city, I hate the thought of bringing all that dirt into my home. Your realtor friend is certainly doing the right thing.

Bob said...

Matthew, Legal fees use to be absurdly high in the US but they are now much more reasonable, generally less that $1,000. However other fees and taxes can add up to multiple thousands of dollars.
Regarding furniture we have found that checking out consignment shops can give you good value for things like dining and bedroom furniture.
If my wife and I get back to the UK we will look you up

Lucky Sign said...

Thanks for sharing this useful information.We know your time is very important. I appreciate you and I would like to read your next post. online shopping coupons india