Saturday, March 26, 2016

Frei's Days: Only in Asia – taking of your shoes inside the house

Frei's Days: Only in Asia – taking of your shoes inside the house

"It depends a little bit on where you are, I have to say. In Singapore, we only took our shoes off in other peoples homes and temples. But here in Phuket, it’s not uncommon that you are asked to take off your shoes when entering a pharmacy or other small shop at the side of the road.

In the beginning, I thought it was super uncomfortable to take off my shoes. Would I have smelly feet? Did I still have proper nail polish on? And I picked out these shoes carefully before going out, why should I take them off?! Years down the line, and we now have our very own shoe rack at the entrance to our apartment.

We do it out of comfort – as it’s nice to kick off your shoes and walk around barefoot at home. However here in Asia, there are a lot of reasons why people take off their shoes. One of them is to keep the house clean. A study done by the University of Arizona, which investigated germs collected on footwear, found that a large number of bacteria are found on the bottom and inside of shoes. Averaging 421,000 types of bacteria! Well, I am sure to now always take my shoes off in the house from now on!"

No comments: