Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Homegarden: Leaving Shoes at the Door Keeps Carpets Like New

Homegarden: Leaving Shoes at the Door Keeps Carpets Like New

"If you could do one simple thing and have a much cleaner house, carpets that look like new, and a reduction in the number of chemicals and bacteria in your home, would you do it? You might be surprised to find out that you can just by removing your shoes before coming into the house.

More and more Americans are making habit of removing shoes before entering their home. It used to be a custom more widely observed in Asia, but as Asian decorating and customs grab hold in America, we're beginning to see more and more households ban shoes upon entering the home here in America.

In the late '80's, I lived on a Johnston Atoll, a small island about a thousand miles southwest of Honolulu. Living there and traveling through Hawaii on a fairly regular basis, it became second nature for me to remove my shoes before entering someone's home. It only took one or two very nasty Hawaiian scowls before I learned to leave my shoes at the door. Over time I began to notice how clean the floors were in the home. Walking in bare feet or socks, my soles were never dirty. And, I noticed that the carpets also looked like new."

1 comment:

Mark said...

Surely it's just common sense to takes shoes off where there is carpet in the house. The weather is nasty here today. Would people actually walk into the house and bring in mud and dirt? And if they can do it when it's wet outside then they can do it any time.