Saturday, May 14, 2016

iRV2 Forums: Shoes Off Rule? Just Wonderin'

iRV2 Forums: Shoes Off Rule? Just Wonderin'

Discussion of the shoes-off rule on a forum for owners of motorhomes. It's nice to see that plenty of American motorhome owners prefer shoes off inside.

It's interesting the UK/US difference about living in trailer parks. In the US, living in a trailer park is seen as very low class, equivalent to our council estates. Here in the UK, apart from Gypsies and Irish Travellers, living in a caravan (trailer) is associated with middle-class eccentricity. When my parents were temporarily living in a caravan park (trailer park) while relocating to the south-east, I took great delight in telling my American friends about my 'white trash' parents.

I expect most middle-class British caravan dwellers take their shoes off and ask visitors to do the same, as our caravan parks can get really muddy. I understand this is the custom among Gypsies.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog!

Know You a movies with removing shoes motive? Movies or Tv series?

In the many films people have shoes on in house, including a bed.

Greetings
May

Matthew Celestine said...

Thanks for dropping in, May. There is the famous episode of Sex in the City, in which Carrie is asked to remove her shoes in somebody's apartment.

Can I ask where in the world you are from?

Anonymous said...

I'm from United Kingdom, but I'm live in Ukraine.

May

Matthew Celestine said...

Well Ukraine is one of the strongest shoes-removing countries in Europe.

I get quite a view visits to this blog from Ukraine, but they seldom comment.