Sunday, August 21, 2016

My Housewarming Party





Yeah, I really do have friends in real life.


In order to maximise attendance at my housewarming party, I held my housewarming party on both Friday and Saturday evening, giving people the option of attending either day. I decided to invite an absolutely huge number of people, guessing that most people would decline. I was not too worried about overcrowding my apartment. A housewarming is about having a nose around the new home. People will only stay as long as they please. As it turned out some people only stayed for one drink and a guided tour, while others hung around quite a while.

I got eleven guests attending on Friday, plus the baby of one couple. I had been expecting thirteen. I had expected only five on the Saturday, but I actually got eleven adult guests on the Saturday, plus five children. That made a total of 22 adult guests. A family I had not seen for a while showed up unexpectedly. I also had a surprise appearance from three nurses who were working that day. They came during their tea break, which made me feel very special. My boss was the last guest to arrive. She was a but disappointed to find all the other guests had gone home before she arrived, but it was nice to see her and have a chat.

I told everyone on the invitation that they would need to remove their shoes. One girl obviously hadn't read that bit as she asked "Do you want us to take our shoes off?" Well, yes. She was not wearing socks and did not seem to have expected to be going barefoot. She had been warned. A colleague I work with closely must have forgotten about it. She managed to get halfway down the hallway in her shoes before I shouted "Wait! Stop!"

10 comments:

Sandro said...

I am sure everyone ended up feeling good and welcome at your home and appreciated the advantages of a shoes-off party.

Matthew Celestine said...

I think everyone was glad to have come and enjoyed seeing the place.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very successful get together. From your pictures it seems like your home is very bright and airy.

Matthew Celestine said...

Yes, lots of big windows, so it's well lit. The master bedroom has a rather dark colour scheme though.

Anonymous said...

What I would REALLY like to know is, how can I maximize attendance on a single day?

Matthew Celestine said...

I'm not a party planning expert. Plenty of websites can offer some advice on that.

Anonymous said...

Excellent job on the house warming party. In my opinion the shoes off idea was an excellent call. First, it creates a more homey atomosphere. Secondly, your floors will appreciate the soft soled foot over gravel traipsed in from the street. Was wondering thought, if any body has ever been to an office where staff padded around in the stockinged feet so as to avoid dirtying the carpets?

Michael said...

I worked in a call center where I and everyone else on my shift took our shoes off at our desks and walked around in socks and/or slippers, but it was more because we worked the midnight shift and wanted to be comfortable rather than keeping the carpet clean, but that was a side effect I would say.

Kelly said...

Good pictures but I think it is extremely tacky and inappropriate to ask coworkers and bosses to take their shoes off when they visit you. It is just not done. Shouting "Wait! Stop!" is rude and if you did it to me I would be insulted and act accordingly. Sorry, but I am not removing my shoes at your place.

Maria Reese said...

Going barefoot exposes the skin of your feet to refreshing air and sunshine, which inhibit microbial growth and infection. Need proof that shoes are germ factories?
_________________
Online Shopping in Delhi | Mens Clothing Online