Sunday, October 23, 2016

Nina Bradley Clarke: Why We Have a “No Shoes” Rule In Our House (and You Should Too)

Nina Bradley Clarke: Why We Have a “No Shoes” Rule In Our House (and You Should Too)

"So where does this bacteria come from? Mostly from the feces we walk on left behind by birds, dogs, and humans (from public restrooms…OMG…gross). 96 percent “of coliform and E. coli bacteria on the outside of the shoes indicates frequent contact with fecal material, which most likely originates from floors in public restrooms or contact with animal fecal material outdoors. Our study also indicated that bacteria can be tracked by shoes over a long distance into your home or personal space after the shoes were contaminated with bacteria,” said Dr. Charles Gerba, a microbiologist and professor at the University of Arizona.

But bacteria isn’t the only thing your shoes can bring into your house. Chemicals and toxins like pesticides can also make their way into your home from the chemicals that are found on lawns. Other chemicals include coal tar from asphalt roads and gasoline from rainwater. If you have pets or children at home, they are the ones who are at greater risk of exposure since they are the ones who are crawling and laying on the floor."

5 comments:

Sandro said...

https://youtu.be/7GzfXSIAmV8

What I liked in this video that the girl is mentioning that she took her shoes off as something routinuous.

Mark said...

Yes it does become a routine, the norm. Its such a simple habit to get into. Everyone who comes to my house automatically takes their shoes off, even first time visitors. But i live in a rural area and thats what people do.

A couple of days ago we went shopping in IKEA in Newcastle. I am after a new sofa and I saw one that I was very interested in. I asked the assistant about delivery and If the delivery chaps would take it to my sitting room. She said they would.
I then asked her if they carry shoe covers or removed their shoes. I told her I had light carpets and everyone takes their shoes off. Her reaction was one of shock and bewilderment. I went on to say that in Sweden its the norm to remove shoes and that IKEA is a Swedish company.
She quickly retorted. "We arent living in Sweden."
I finished by saying that nobody gets into my house wearing shoes. She wasn't impressed.
I know from experience that companies like John lewis, BT, Sky, Virgin media,etc always either take off shoes or wear covers.
One would think a progressive company like IKEA would do the same when delivering.
I do actually have those blue shoe covers but i have never had to give any to delivery people etc for them to wear.
I now have doubts about ordering my sofa from IKEA.

Paul Jones said...

Mark - I don't think it is appropriate to enforce foreign (in this case, Swedish) customs on the company you do business with. The assistant was right. They should not have to remove their shoes when they are at work.

Mat said...

Ultimately it's your house Mark and people should comply with your request. There's no argument. What you say goes. I wonder what happened to "the customer's always right"?

Mark said...

I absolutely agree Mat.
There was a test case about shoe removal and the health and safety get out. This was regarding council employed carers who refused to remove shoes when doing home visits.
The tribunal concluded that to refuse to refuse shoes on the grounds of health and safety was untenable.
If for example i did buy the sofa from IKEA and the delivery chaps refused to remove shoes or wear covers then i would send them away and claim a full refund plus compensation.
Incidentally when I was a healthcare professional and did home visits I always removed my shoes. Not to do so would have been rude and caused hostility/anger/anxiety etc. Thats hardly conducive to creating an empathic and meaningful relationship with ones client/patient. Is it?